California Student Aid Commission
California Chafee Grant Program
Student Application
The following information is needed so that your application may be considered for the foster youth California Grant Program.
The California Chafee Grant Program gives free money to current or former foster youth to use for vocational school training or college courses.
To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth, must have established court dependency at anytime between the ages of 16 and 18, and must not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
KinGap youth, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the Chafee Grant, unless court dependence was established, at anytime, between the ages of 16 and 18.
The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status.
Students: To check your Chafee Grant status you can go online to WebGrants for Students.
All fields marked "*" are 'Required'
If you are an undocumented student, please select the box:
Which application do you want to file?
** An Academic Year runs from July 1st thru June 30th **
If you are currently attending college (July 1st, 2016 - June 30th, 2017) - submit an application for the 2016-2017 School Year.
If you plan to attend college in the summer 2017 check with your school to determine which application you should complete.
If you plan to attend college in the fall 2017 or spring 2018 (July 1st, 2017 - June 30th, 2018) - submit an application for the 2017-2018 School Year.
Academic Year:
Last Name: First Name: MI:
Address 1: Home Phone: ( ) -  
Address 2: Work Phone: ( ) -  
City: State:      Zip: -
Email: Re-type Email:  
Alternate Email: Re-type Alternate Email:  
Date of Birth: (MM/DD/YYYY)
Foster Care County:     
School of Attendance:  
If you cannot find your school in the drop down list above, enter the name, city and state in the boxes below.
School Name: City: State:
Degree Goal:      
Major:                  Education Level:  
Are/were you in foster care placement under court dependency?
Have you completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
(The FAFSA must be completed prior to receiving any Chafee Grant funds. The FAFSA can be filed on-line at
How did you find out about the Chafee Grant Program?
I declare under penalty of the laws of the State of California and of the United States that this form has been examined by me and to the best of my knowledge and belief is true, correct and complete.
I authorize the Commission and the California Department of Social Services to receive and to release my student records, information regarding this application, including confidential information, and other information I have provided concerning my application with institutions and appropriate public and private agencies.

Privacy Policy  Copyright 2000-2017, California Student Aid Commission      Contact Us