If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career
and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your
grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee
Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in
Student's completed applications are sorted by application date, and awards are offered based on the following
priority selection criteria:
- **Paid renewal students who have not reached their 23rd birthday as of July 1st of the
- New and ***non-paid renewal students who will be 22 years old as of July 1st of the
- New and non-paid renewal students who have dependents.
- New and non-paid renewal students who have an unmet need of $5,000 or more.
- New and non-paid renewal students who have an unmet need of less than $5,000.
** Students who have received a Chafee payment.
*** Students who have not received a Chafee payment.
Upon selection for an award, students are sent payment notifications for each term.
The majority of Chafee Grant awards are initiated during the fall term and additional awards are
offered year round based on available federal and state funding each year.
California Student Aid Commission
Specialized Programs Operations Branch – Chafee
P.O. Box 419029
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9029
888-224-7268 (toll free) | 916-464-7977 (fax)